Thursday 7 February 2019

January Review - Reading

Aside from all of the knitting (see my previous post) I also did a lot of reading this month.  I love my library and get most books from there.  I'm trying to listen to books while I drive, but my commute is short (not a complaint, just a fact) and I only get about 10 minutes of reading at a time so the book feels disjointed.  I've also realized I can listen to non-fiction but lose the thread of the narrative if it's fiction.

I belong to two book clubs and our picks for January/February were very different.  One is historical fiction, highlighting the impact of federal and provincial policies on the most vulnerable people - in this case, children living in care or in mental health facilities in the 1950's.  The book is well written with complex characters, a balance between narrative drive and character development, and a satisfying ending.

 The second is a psychological drama, set in the near future.  The story unfolds in an interesting way, and has one of the most satisfying endings I've read in a while.
I also read two books that are on my list to read to learn more about perspectives beyond my own.  Brother is on the Canada Reads 2019 list this year.  It's set in Toronto, and the narrative moves between present day and and the past.  Race, immigration, and the impact of these factors on the lives of the characters make up the themes of the book.  It's short, but emotional and timely. 
The other I listened to on audio.  I recommend reading a hard copy with a notebook and pen in hand, the book is packed full of thought-provoking ideas and experiences.  Coates writes a letter to his son, describing what it means to be Black in the United States.  I love books that teach me something, and this one has so many lessons to learn.  Rethinking and unlearning are key ingredients to an excellent book, for me.

February's list looks just as interesting and diverse in genre and perspective - more on that in a month (or less)!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for introducing me to three titles that I have not seen or heard of down here (Australia).
    I too, like books that challenge one's perspectives and make one think.

    ReplyDelete