Monday 18 February 2019

In Progress

I've been knitting a lot this month too - trying to keep myself focused on knitting but also have a lot of time to sit at various sports practices and games/meets/events.  Small project knitting is definitely getting done!

First up, I finished my 3 Colour Cowl (without the cashmere) by Joji Locatelli that was my Holiday cast-on.  Easy travelling project, fits in a purse or bag and is easy to follow, pick up and put down during sports events while sitting on very uncomfortable bleachers. Ends have been woven in and it's blocked now but still looks similar to this:

I also finished a bulky fair isle hat for a colleague at work.   I used a Caron x Pantone braid from Michaels, as she has very sensitive skin and also likely wants to wear this without worrying about taking care of a pure wool fibre.  I knit the hat in less than 3 hours during the 2019 Superbowl.  Game was quite boring unless you love strategic defense in a low-scoring game, but that meant I could focus more on the hat than the tv screen.  This yarn was great to work with.  It's affordable at $10 CDN for a 'braid' of 5 colours, and I purchased it on sale for 50% off.  Whole project was less than $5.00 and I'd knit another at full price.  The pattern is free on the Yarnspirations website.  In the debate about cost versus luxury fibres, I come out as a 'omnivore knitter' (more on that in another post) and use all kinds of fibres, including those easily found at a 'box' store like Michaels.


Speaking of Yarnspirations, I also like the patterns I find there.  They've started carrying Sugar Bush Yarns which are more expensive (for good reason - lovely yarn!) but a few patterns are free on the site.  I started Without A Paddle, a cropped pullover but am using Berroco Vintage Chunky in a dark purple colour instead, as I can buy it from my LYS at a price point that works for me.  It's meant to be knit in Canoe, a chunky wool/alpaca blend that is tweedy.   Mine won't be tweedy but I do like the way the Vintage Chunky knits up.  It's a bottom-up sweater with a yoke construction, so I'm done the body and am ready to knit the sleeves, then join them to do the yoke:

I have a few other projects on the go, or almost done but I'll save those for other posts as they have their own stories to tell.

1 comment:

  1. I have not heard of the Caron product you mentioned. What a great idea and what a perfect project!! Can't beat the price either. I don't get the whole "I'm a yarn snob..." bit. I knit with what makes me happy and is in my budget. I'm not a happy knitter if I am broke! :)
    I looked at the construction of the sweater, and the yoke is really pretty. Simple and lovely!
    Regina

    ReplyDelete