Saturday 2 March 2019

footloose

I'm intrigued by sock knitting.  I find them pretty, and fun, with lots of beautiful yarn with different themes, colourways, and other interesting aspects to them.  I have two problems - both practical in nature.

First and most challenging, I knit so loosely that I have had to special order size 00 (1.75) needles to use to try and get a tight gauge with sock yarn.  They are very thin, and a bit fiddly to hold.   To start knitting socks and be inspired to keep trying, I've decided to knit 12 pairs this year to participate in the Grocery Girls Sock Bash for 2019.  This may be a bit ambitious.
Themes for the first third of the year (image from Ravelry - Grocery Girls group thread):


 I started with bulky weight Lyndon socks by Alicia Plummer for January.  I figure that if I start with a successful project I'll be inspired to keep going.  They are done, and I wear them as house socks.



Second pair are Granola by TinCanKnits, knit with sport weight Malabrigo Arroyo.  They are slightly too big and I'll knit my next pair with more negative ease to allow for stretching.  Also discovered a dropped stitch after I wore them for a day so I'll need to mend them already...


Next up are my socks knit on the 00 needles.  Just started Hermione's Everyday Socks.  I figure if over 26 000 people have knit them on Ravelry, I can't go wrong.  My yarn choice may not show the texture well, but I'm moving ahead with them anyway.

My second issue with socks is more with fashion than function.  I don't own shoes that knit socks fit into, and my boots are tall or outdoor/winter boots that I can't keep on all day inside.  This makes my socks hard to wear on a day-to-day basis.  Short of buying different footwear (not really practical) I am not sure what I'll do about this.  I also notice that almost all sock patterns have photographs with no shoes or footwear - this makes sense as the knitter wants to see the entire project but makes it hard to imagine styling them for wear.   It makes knitting socks less appealing to me; however, I am determined to knit 12 pairs this year to get better at sock knitting.  Perhaps in a year I'll have solved the gauge issues and the footwear problem!

1 comment:

  1. I share your interest with sock knitting - there are so many resources, beautiful looking patterns and scrumptious looking yarns designed for socks.
    I tend to crochet more than knit. When it comes to making socks to fit into footwear, I found that the finer the yarn the better and the tighter the tension the better. Be careful though - I have some lovely warm crochet socks made to fit my feet so well that one of them is slightly tricky to get on and off because it is tight. The quest is to find the right balance. I've purchased sock yarn and have some patterns but haven't got around to doing any more. Now that the Australian winter is approaching, it might be time to get started. Good luck with your sock knitting and maybe we can compare notes sometime.

    ReplyDelete