Monday 3 December 2018

yarn of my dreams vs. yarn in my budget

I love knitting books and magazines, especially the ones that come with thick pages and lots of photos that come from overseas (Laine, PomPom).  They are more collectors items than recyclable reads for me.  Often, though, the cost of the suggested yarn is far beyond my means, and often quite literally out of reach to purchase even online.  (Note: I've never purchased yarn online, more on that to come).

I have learned to pay close attention to the fibre content, suggested gauge, and my own experience to pick something to substitute.  My LYS is a great place to go with a pattern - Tina will suggest something that will work that she has in stock. I also often rely on Yarnsub.com to help me find suitable alternatives to the yarn found in the patterns I want to knit.  I scroll down to see if I recognize a suggestion that my LYS might have, or one I know is comparable.

A few examples:

Nuuk (Laine issue 1) - suggested yarn is Brooklyn Tweed Shelter.  To purchase the required amount of this online from a Canadian store (which avoids exchange rates and international shipping), the cost of the sweater would be $142.38.   Instead, I chose Cascade 220 at my LYS and paid about $55.00 for the materials.



More recently, I knit Lanes (also Laine issue 1) - suggested yarn is Walk Collection DK, a yarn not available to purchase in Canada.  I'd have to buy it online in the UK at 125 GBP or $210 CDN before shipping and customs.  I used an alpaca blend from my LYS (purchased a few years ago) that cost about $60.

My next few projects from Laine, Pompom, or other sources will not use the suggested yarn, either.  I'll find a substitution that works that I can buy locally (or that I already have in stash, also purchased at my LYS).

Up next is Luoto (Laine issue 4) - suggested yarn is Quarry by Brooklyn Tweed. Purchased online, the skein with tax and shipping will cost $45.20.  A bit pricey for a hat.  I'll use Berroco Inca Tweed, purchased for about $22.00.
I know that purchasing online is the only option for some, and realize I'm fortunate to have two LYS within reasonable driving distance from home.  One day, I might change my mind but for now the hunt for a good substitution is part of the challenge (and fun!) of planning a project.

3 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to your title! The only yarn I buy online is yarn I have had the privilege to inspect personally. I do not have confidence in the colour representations on screen or the security of online purchasing from unknown suppliers. It is so important to have a good LYS or reliable and knowledgeable supplier. Thank you for sharing yarn substitution resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy yarn on line frequently, because I live in New York City, where the yarn is usually priced slightly above list. I usually buy either on EBay or from KnitPicks. The amazingly high prices of shawls and sweaters knit in the suggested yarn (I recently saw a shawl for above $300 US) are startling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to Valerie, one needs to also compare what the same item would be to buy as ready to wear. About ten years ago, I saw an alpaca cape priced at over AU$500. I can't imagine how much that would be nowadays but at the current exchange rate, that price would be approximately US$355 (and likely to be much, much more now). Basic pure woollen jumpers are expensive to buy in Australia but finding them is tricky and they cost hundreds. Most of the offerings in our shops are synthetic fibres or synthetic blends. Add the handmade quality to a pure woollen jumper (or any jumper of nattural fibres) and the price skyrockets. Even if yarn is expensive to buy, the materials cost of finished products end up significantly cheaper than ready to wear. Either way, it is still hard for tight budgets.

    ReplyDelete