Friday 24 August 2018

Working On... more Bristol

Started the Sharman garment from Bristol Ivy's Knitting Outside the Box.  Like all projects in this book, the construction is unique.  This is a shawl that will be folded so that the sides become 'arms' with ribbed cuffs at the end, and a bottom band to resemble the waistband of a sweater.  It is not a sweater or cardigan though; it drapes over the shoulders like a capelet/shawl.  Many knitters on Ravelry have commented on this (some positively, some less so) but I think it's the mindset that matters.  If one wants to knit a cardigan, there are two of those in this book that are designed to wear like a sweater.  If you want a shawl, there are several of those as well.  My expectations are for a loosely fitting, shrug-like layer that I can toss on in my always-cold workplace so I think I'll be pleased.

The yarn is Estelle Yarns Eco Andean DK, a pure wool from Peru.  It's from my stash, purchased originally as part of a Soper Creek Yarn Challenge.  I made the Tanager shrug with it from Alexis Winslow's book Graphic Knits.  I don't wear it often, mostly because it's short and not practical most of the year.  I'm hoping this one will be worn more often as it's more substantial (longer) and should work as a layering piece for three seasons. 

Top two photos are from the book, bottom one is the one I'm working on:


No comments:

Post a Comment