Monday 9 December 2019

Year of Shannon



I love to plan.  I love to map out goals, ideas, projects, set deadlines, all of it.  Often, I follow through, to some extent.  And I'm okay with changing the plan as I go, because revising a plan is still part of the planning process.

This past year, I stumbled on to Stacy Elstone's "Stress Knits" YouTube channel and watched her share her projects.  She embarked on a "Year of Andrea" and worked on projects by one designer for the year:  Andrea Mowry.  Her blog post on the year of projects is linked above, and the Podcast on YouTube is embedded at the bottom of her post.  I was inspired by three things:

- narrowing the queue to include designs by one designer for this project (while still knitting other things too)
- exploring fit, style, colour and other elements while selecting one designer's patterns
- having a clear start and finish time (a year) for casting on and off


I went to my Ravelry Library and started searching by designer.  I have a few favourites but wanted to select a designer whose patterns I already own.  After a while, I settled on Shannon Cook.  I love her designs, already own her books and many patterns.  I also wanted someone I could relate to and support for her approach to knitting, herself, and the world in which we live.  I follow Shannon on Instagram and pay attention to the inspiration behind her designs, her thoughts on inclusive community and other designers she supports, follows, and collaborates with.  I realize I don't "know" her, I only know what she chooses to share; however, what she does share is thoughtful.  Recent posts on size inclusive patterns (like Kapsel) reflect this.


Shannon is also Canadian.  I wanted to plan to knit designs that support people that are local (although Vancouver is about as far away from me as England!).  I also plan to knit many of her designs using stash yarn purchased at my LYS and/or Canadian yarn.   Posts to come soon about each FO that I make as I work through the next few months - two are already off my needles and just need photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment