Saturday 30 March 2019

Marching toward spring

Lots of time to knit in March, with spring break in the middle.  It's also usually the time that I participate in the Annual Yarn Challenge at a LYS.  This year the yarn was Briggs and Little Sport, a rustic wooly sport weight yarn.  I chose to knit a warm hat, since the Polar Vortex rushed down on us in Southern Ontario for the last bit of February into March. 
The pattern is by The Petite Knitter, a designer who lives on an island in Nunavut (far north), Canada.   I chose the hat for a couple of reasons.  First, it's an awesome hat that will be warm and cozy that lends itself to a big pompom (Bernat faux fur).  Second, it's a Canadian designer.  I want to support people who live Canada, especially those who forge ahead with their small business in this current economic climate.  She has new patterns out right now - the Tundra sweater and matching hat.  Maybe next year, I'll knit one of them.    She also has a pattern in the Mason-Dixon March Madness bracket (knitting bracket similar to the NCAA basketball bracket - all fun, found here!)  It's the Iqaluit Shawl.  Iqaluit is the capital of the territory Nunavut, if you're wondering about the name.

I also knit my third pair of socks for the Grocery Girls Sock Bash.  The theme was movies/tv/books, so I knit Hermione's Everyday Socks (Harry Potter reference) in some stash Dream In Color yarn.  The yarn is almost too variegated for the texture pattern, but I enjoyed knitting them.  My LYS has 1.75mm circulars on order for me - hoping they will be easier on my hands and easier to use for my next pair!
Next month's theme is 'from far away' - yarn from another country.  Off to dive into the stash and pattern library for April!

1 comment:

  1. I love your attitude around supporting your local designers and small businesses. I have also enjoyed learning about some of your Canadian places. Whether it is a band that I hear on the radio or a crochet design on the internet, I do like to learn about their influences. Where they come from, and where they are now based, is a big part of understanding that.
    Thank you for introducing your local Canadian artists. It's good stuff to know.
    P.S. your yarn challenges and sock bash sound like fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete