Saturday 30 January 2016

Keeping up - the downside of a KAL

I love joining KALs.  I like the sense of community, of following a group and seeing projects similar to mine.  I like joining to knit independent designer's patterns, to have a unique product at the end.  This month, I joined three:

Tin Can Knits - 12 patterns in 2016 - I finished one (albeit simple) coffee cup cozy so far, but have plans for hats and mittens soon to follow.  I hope to knit one per month, so I'm on track and feeling like I can manage one accessory per month.

Never Not Knitting - MKAL (Mystery KAL) - I'm about half way through my shawl.  It's a complex pattern - not difficult, but not easy tv knitting (sports - yes, Blacklist - no!).  I feel 'behind' on this one, as clue 4 has been released (the final clue) but I'm only on the second half of clue 2.  February 10th is the deadline to post if I want to qualify for a prize.  The prize is not really the motivator for me, but still, I would like to finish with the rest of the group.

Baby Cocktails - I'm knitting a cardigan as part of a Warm Winter Drinks January KAL.  I've had the pattern for a while and want to knit patterns I already have, when possible.  I am using a rather inexpensive yarn, as I had some left over from a frogged project.  It will be cozy and very wearable when done... but it seems far from finished as I've only done the two fronts and half the back.
Creating and deadlines are a complicated combination for me.  I need deadlines to stop me from casting on lots and finishing few - the 'start-itis' issue!  I also need to focus on knitting what I have, and finding projects that match my stash.

Hoping to get a lot knit this weekend, but also know that fine line between enjoyment and pressure.  When knitting feels like a chore instead of my creative outlet.  When the stress relief of knitting becomes stressful, I know it's time to 'let it go' - the deadline is arbitrary and the project will eventually get done!

3 comments:

  1. I have patterns and stash, and needed some motivation to put them all together. I also find winter to be long... lots of projects gives me deadlines to make the time go by. Or at least that's the plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mary-Anne - Brave!

    I find it hard to find projects that match my stash because my yarn tastes have changed so much compared to when I first started building my stash. Do you have difficulties in that department, Sarah?

    ReplyDelete